RADIATION PROTECTION ASPECTS RELEVANT TO RADIOLOGICAL TERRORISM
Jana Hudzietzová, Jozef Sabol, Bedřich Šesták
Received: 15 MAR 2015, Received revised: 11 MAY 2015, Accepted: 13 MAY 2015, Published Online: 28 APR 2016
Full Text (PDF)
The paper summarizes some basic issues related to the protection of people against the danger resulting from a radiological weapon or the so-called dirty bomb which can potentially be used in terrorist or other malevolent attacks. The properties of radioactive material utilized for this purpose and the quantification of the exposure of affected persons, the prevention measures against and consequences of radiological acts as well as appropriate arrangements aimed at minimizing their impacts are described. In addition, an overview of global initiatives addressing the fight against terrorism in general, including CBRN terrorism, is also presented.
- International Commission on Radiological Protection. (2007). ICRP Publication 103, The 2007 Recommenda-tions of the International Commission on Radiological Protection.
- P.K. Karam, “Radiological terrorism”, Hum. Ecol. Risk Assess., vol. 11, iss. 3, pp. 501-523, Jan., 2005.
- J. Cirincionne, J.B. Wolfstahl, M. Rajkumar, Deadly Arsenals – Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical Threats, Washington DC, USA: Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, 2005.
- IAEA Safety Standards Series no. RS-G-1.9: Categorization of Radioactive Sources. IAEA, Vienna, Austria, 2005.
- D. Delacroix, J.P. Guerre, P. Leblanc and C. Hickman, “Radionuclide and Radiation Protection Data Handbook 1998,” 1st ed., Rad. Prot. Dosim., vol. 76, no. 1-2, pp. 1-126, 1998.
- K. Eckerman, J. Harrison, H-G. Menzel and C.H. Clement (auth. on behalf of ICRP), “ICRP Publ. 119: Compendium of Dose Coefficients Based on ICRP Publication 60,” Ann. ICRP, vol. 41, 2012.
- HotSpot, Health Physics Codes for the PC, National Atmospheric Release Advisory Center, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, CA, USA. Retrieved from: https://narac.llnl.gov/HotSpot/HotSpot.html.
- EU CBRN Action Plan. Retrieved from: http://www.ebsaweb.eu/ebsa_media/ANNEXE1_COM_2009_ 273-p-1304.pdf
- Ј. Sabol et al., “The Role of International Organizations in Combatting Radiological Terrorism”, Secur. Rev., Feb. 21, 2011. Retrieved from: http://www.securityrevue.com/ article/2011/02/the-role-of-international-organizations-in-combatting-radiological-terrorism/
- “Can the EU’s Centres of Excellence Initiative Contribute Effectively to Mitigating Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear Risks from Outside the EU?” ECA, Luxembourg, Spec. Rep. 17, 2014.