BURIED GRAPHITE PILLARS IN SINGLE CRYSTAL CVD DIAMOND:
SENSITIVITY TO ELECTRONS
G. Conte, P. Allegrini, M. Pacilli, S. Salvatori, D.M. Trucchi, T. Kononenko, A. Bolshakov, V. Ralchenko, V. Konov
Received: 24 FEB 2015, Received revised: 15 APR 2015, Accepted: 19 APR 2015, Published Online: 28 APR 2016
Full Text (PDF)
The charge collection performance of a diamond-graphite detector is reported. Buried graphite pillars with high aspect ratio were formed inside a single crystal synthetic diamond slab by using a femtosecond IR laser with 200 kHz of repetition rate. Grouped in two series and connected by graphite strips on the surface, eight independent 3D electrodes were used to collect the charge carriers generated by energy deposited in the detector. Collimated 90Sr,Y -particles were used to test the charge collection in coincidence and self-triggering mode among pillars rows using different irradiation geometries. The charge collected by one pillar row saturates at 1.40±0.02 fC at ±0.67V/m with electrons impinging orthogonally the rows demonstrating a high charge carrier collection efficiency.
- M. Girolami, P. Allegrini, G. Conte, S. Salvatori, D.M. Trucchi and V. Ralchenko, “Diamond Detectors for UV and X-Ray Source Imaging,” IEEE-EDL, vol. 33, no.2, pp. 224-226, Feb. 2012.
- W. Adams et al. (The RD42 Collaboration), “Radiation Hard Diamond Sensors for Future Tracking Applications,” Nucl. Inst. Meth. Phys. Res., vol. A565, no.1, pp. 278–283, June 2006.
- M. Pomorski et al., “Development of Single-Crystal CVD-Diamond Detectors for Spectroscopy and Timing,” Phys. Stat. Sol. (A), vol. 203, no. 12, pp. 3152–3160, Dec. 2006.
- M. Pacilli et al., “Beta Particles Sensitivity of an All-Carbon Detector,” Nucl. Inst. Meth. Phys. Res., vol. A738, pp. 119-125, Feb. 2014.
- A. Oh, B. Caylar, M. Pomorski and T. Wengler, “A Novel Detector with Graphitic Electrodes in CVD Diamond,” Diamond Relat. Mater., vol. 38, pp. 9–13, 2013.
- T. Kononenko et al., “All-Carbon Detector with Buried Graphite Pillars in CVD Diamond,” Appl. Phys., vol. A114, pp. 297-300, Nov, 2013.
- S. Lagomarsino et al., “Three-Dimensional Diamond Detectors: Charge Collection Efficiency of Graphitic Electrodes,” Appl. Phys. Lett., vol. 103, pp. 233507-10, Feb. 2013.
- T.V. Kononenko,V.I. Konov,S.M. Pimenov,N.M. Ros-sukanyi, A.I. Rukovishnikov and V. Romano, “Three-Dimensional Laser Writing in Diamond Bulk,” Diamond Relat. Mater., vol. 20, pp. 264-268, Jan. 2011.
- V.P. Popov, L.N. Safronova, O.V. Naumova, D.V. Ni- kolaev, I.N. Kupriyanov and Yu.N. Palyanov, “Con-ductive Layers in Diamond Formed by Hydrogen Ion Implantation and Annealing”, Nucl. Inst. Meth. Phys. Res., vol. B282, pp. 100–107, Jan. 2012.
- F. Picollo et al., “Fabrication and Electrical Characterization of Three-Dimensional Graphitic Microchannels in Single Crystal Diamond,” New Jour. Phys., vol. 14, pp. 053011-20, May 2012.
- B. Sun, P.S. Salter and M.J. Booth, “High Conductivity Micro-Wires in Diamond Following Arbitrary Paths,” Appl. Phys. Lett., vol.105, pp. 231105 (1-4), Dec. 2014.
- S. Zhao, “Characterization of the Electrical Properties of Polycrystalline Diamond Films,” Ph.D. dissertation, Dept. Phys., Ohio State Univ., Columbus, USA, 1994.
- B. Caylar, M. Pomorski and P. Bergonzo, “Laser-Processed Three Dimensional Graphitic Electrodes for Diamond Radiation Detectors”, Appl. Phys. Lett., vol.103, pp.043504 (1-3), July 2013.
- S. Lagomarsino et al., “Electrical and Raman-Imaging Characterization of Laser-Made Electrodes for 3D Diamond Detectors”, Diamond Relat. Mat., vol. 43, pp.23-28, Mar. 2014.
- T.V. Kononenko, A.A. Khomich and V.I. Konov, “Peculiarities of Laser-Induced Material Transforma-tion Inside Diamond Bulk,” Diamond Relat. Mater., vol. 37, pp. 50–54, Aug. 2013.