RADIONUCLIDES IN FISH OF THE CHERNOBYL EXCLUSION ZONE: SPECIES-SPECIFICITY, SEASONALITY, SIZE- AND AGE-DEPENDENT FEATURES OF ACCUMULATION
A.Ye. Kaglyan, D.I., Gudkov, V.G. Klenus , L.P. Yurchuk , A.B. Nazarov, N.A. Pomortseva, Z.O. Shirokaya, N.L. Shevtsova
Received: 1 MAR 2015,
Received revised: 8 MAY 2015,
Accepted: 15 MAY 2015,
Published online: 18 OCT 2016
Full Text (PDF)
The results of studies during 2006-2013 of fish from 12 water bodies with different hydrological mode and levels of radioactive contamination within the Chernobyl exclusion zone are presented. The specific activity of 90Sr and 137Cs for 17 species of fish, concerning various ecological groups was estimated. The fish of stagnant water bodies of the Chernobyl exclusion zone continue to be characterized by the high concentration of 90Sr and 137Cs. Radionuclide specific activity in fish of closed water bodies of the Chernobyl exclusion zone during our studies in all cases exceeded maximal permissible levels, according to the standards, accepted in Ukraine for fish production: in 53-2892 times on 90Sr and in 6-212 times on 137Cs. In fish of the riverbed sites of the Pripyat River within the Chernobyl exclusion zone some single cases which exceeded the maximal permissible level on 137Cs, mainly the predatory fish, were registered. The analysis of radionuclide specific activity data in fish of various size, weight and age groups on an example of the common rudd and the European perch from Glubokoye Lake has allowed the revelation of a dependence of 90Sr and 137Cs accumulation on the weight of body and the age of fishes.
- M.I. Kuzmenko, D.I. Gudkov, S.I. Kireyev et al., Technogenic radionuclides in freshwater ecosystems. Kyiv, 2010. (in Ukrainian).
- Measurement of radionuclides’ volume activity by gamma-spectrometry method with high resolution ratio. State Standard of Ukraine ISO 10703-2001-Kyiv: State Committee for Technical Regulation and Consumer Policy of Ukraine, 2003, 15 p. (in Ukrainian).
- A.Ye. Kaglyan, D.I. Gudkov, Patent UA №106547, Ukraine, GO1T 1/16 (2006.01) "Method of assessment of specific activity of radionuclides in organs and tissues of fishes on the basis of their concentration in scale", Bulletin, No 17, 2014 (in Ukrainian).
- A.Ye. Kaglyan, D.I. Gudkov, V.G. Klenus et al., Patent UA №107611, Ukraine, GO1T 1/16 (2006.01) "Method of assessment of specific activity of radionuclides in organs and tissues of predator fishes (Percidae and Esocidae families) on the basis of their concentration in fins", Bulletin, №2, 2015 (in Ukrainian).
- ERICA Assessment Tool 1.0. The integrated approach seeks to combine exposure/dose/effect assessment with risk characterization and managerial considerations (Version November 2012) (http://www.erica-tool.com).
- Ministry of Health Protection of Ukraine, National Commission for Radiation Protection of Ukraine committee "137Cs и 90Sr content permissible levels in food products and drinking water (PL-97)", Kyiv, 1997. (in Ukrainian).
- D.I. Gudkov, M.I. Kuzmenko, S.I. Kireyev et al., "Radionuclides in Components of Aquatic Ecosystems of the Chernobyl Accident Restriction Zone" in 20 Years after the Chernobyl Accident: Past, Present and Future. E.B. Burlakova, V.I. Naidich, Eds. New York: Nova Science Publishers, 2006, pp. 265–285.
- D.I. Gudkov et al., "Patterns of the main dose-forming radionuclides accumulation by fish in the water bodies within the exclusion zone", Chernobyl Scientific Journal, The Exclusion Zone Ecological State Bulletin, №2, 2007, pp. 34–43 (in Ukrainian).
- D.I. Gudkov et al., "Dynamics of content and distribution of the main dose-forming radionuclides in fishes of the Chernobyl NPP exclusion zone", Hydrobiological Journal, 2008, №3, pp. 95–113. (in Russian).
- A.Ye. Kaglyan et al., "Present-day radionuclide contamination of freshwater fishes of Ukraine". Reports of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, №12, 2011, pp. 164–170. (in Ukrainian).
- A. Kaglyan et al., "Radionuclide contamination of freshwater fishes after the CNPP accident", Twenty five years of the Chernobyl disaster. Security of the Future, Kyiv, April 2011, part 2, pp. 301–306 (in Ukrainian)
- A.Ye. Kaglyan et al., "Radionuclides in the native fish species of the Chernobyl exclusion zone", Nuclear Physics and Energy, №3, 2012, pp. 306–315 (in Russian).
- A.Ye. Kaglyan, D.I. Gudkov, V.G. Klenus et al., Patent UA No 95746, Ukraine, GO1T 1/16 (2006.01) "Method of estimation of the maximal radionuclide contamination level of the freshwater fish fauna", Bulletin, No 16, 2011 (in Ukrainian).