CHANGES IN FRACTAL DIMENSION OF PHRAGMITES AUSTRALIS LEAVES UNDER CHRONIC RADIATION EXPOSURE
D. Ganzha, Ch. Ganzha
Received: 10 MAR 2016,
Received revised: 5 MAY 2016,
Accepted: 12 MAY 2016,
Published online: 26 DEC 2016
Full Text (PDF)
We analyzed the fractal dimension of the common reed leaves collected in the Chornobyl exclusion zone in conditions of chronic radiation exposure. On a macroscopic level, the fractal dimension was calculated for images of leaves taken from an optical scanner. On a microscopic level, it was calculated for images obtained from a scanning electronic microscope at 100× and 500× magnification. Statistical analysis showed the dependence of fractal numbers on morphological parameters of leaves on macroscopic and microscopic levels. We found a direct correlation of the fractal dimension of the images to the content of phosphorus and nitrogen compounds in water reservoirs, and a regenerative connection with internal exposure doses, depending on the physical and chemical forms of radionuclides incorporated in the leaves. The results showed the prospect of the application of the fractal analysis of the leaves as an integral figure in the diagnosis of environmental quality.
- А. L. Takhtajan, Fundamentals of evolutionary morphology of angiosperms, Moscow-Leningrad, Soviet Union: Nauka, 1964, p. 236
- V. V. Isaeva, Y. A. Karetin, A. V. Chernyshev and D. Y. Shkuratov, Fractals and Chaos in biological morphogenesis, Vladivostok, Russia: Dal nauka, 2004, p. 128,
- N. I. Fedoryaka, PhD Dissertation, Michurinsk, Russia, 2004.
- D. D. Ganzha, A. B. Nazarov, V. B. Rybalka and G. I. Petelin, “Changes veining common reed leaves under the influence of incorporated radionuclides,” Proc. of IV int. Conf. on Radioactivity and radioactive elements in human environment, Tomsk, Russia, 2013, pp. 139-142.
- M. D. Vazquez, J. Lopez and A. Carballeira, “Uptake of Heavy Metals to the Extracellular and Intracellular Compartments in Three Species of Aquatic Bryophyte,” Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 12 – 24, 1999.
- D. H. Brown and J. M. Wells, “Physiological effects of heavy metals on the moss Rhytidiadelphus squarrosus,” Ann. Bot., vol. 66, no. 6, pp. 641–647, 1990.
- A. Bolsunovsky, T. Zotina and L. Bondareva, “Accumulation and release of 241Am by a macrophytes of the Yenisei River (Elodea canadensis)”, Journal of Environmental Radioactivity, vol. 81, no. 1, pp. 33–46, 2005.
- A. K. Lavrukhina T. V. Malyshev and F. I. Pavlotskaya, Radiochemical Analysis, Moscow, Soviet Union: USSR Academy of Sciences, 1963, p. 220
- A. Y. Golfman and L. Z. Kalmykov, “Determination of radioactive cesium ferrocyanide way,” Radiochemistry, vol. 4, no. 10, pp. 107-109, 1963
- Handbook for assessment of the exposure of biota to ionising radiation from radionuclides in the environment, J. Brown, P. Strand, Al. Hosseini, P Børretzen Eds., Project within the EC 5th Framework Programme, Contract No FIGE-CT-2000-00102. - Framework for Assessment of Environmental Impact, 2003.
- A. P. Solovov et al., Handbook of geochemical mineral exploration, Nedra, Moscow, Russia, 1990
- Y. E. Saet, et al., Geochemistry Environment, Moscow, Russia: Nedra, 1990
- D. D. Ganzha and A. B. Nazarov, “Influence of chronic exposure to radiation on a nervation and location of mouth-like opening in the leaves of Phragmites australis (Cav.) Trin. ex Steud, Bulletin of Lviv University,” Biology Series, vol. 69, pp. 119-128, 2015.
- Joint Committee for Guides in Metrology.(Sep. 2008) Evaluation of measurement data – Guide to the expression of uncertainty in measurement
- Retrived from: http://www.bipm.org/utils/common/documents/jcgm/JCGM_100_2008_E.pdf
Retrived on: Apr. 25, 2016